It takes a village. Each year, Lutheran Social Services of the Southwest resettles more than 1,000 refugee families in Maricopa and Pima counties. We help them to access critical resources: like settling into an apartment, learning to navigate public transportation, and gaining employment. Beyond our walls, they rely on a vast network of resources - including school districts, local government, and congregations.
In Tucson, a broader dream is being born. A dream of a place where refugee students, school districts, nonprofits, and community members - people like you - can come together be the village. Be the place where refugee children can thrive.
We aren't just dreaming of this sanctuary. We're opening the doors. Learn more about CENTER, our newest addition to our family of services that equip Arizona communities.
What is CENTER?
CENTER is a hub for refugee students, parents, teachers, schools, volunteers, and other nonprofits that work with them across Tucson.
What services does CENTER provide?
- Tutoring, mentoring, and drop in study space with computers
- Career, college, ELD and GED support
- School orientation and workshops for parents
- Resources and professional development for educators
- Wrap-around support for refugee families
- Community presentations by refugee content experts
How can I get involved?
- View a schedule of upcoming learning opportunities
- Volunteer as a tutor, help out with a field trip, or help us spread the word. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for current needs.
- Attend an upcoming Come & See tour and learn about our work.
- Donation needs include: bus passes, snacks, school supplies, and field trip opportunities.
Special thanks to the Arizona State Refugee Resettlement Program, Imago Dei Middle School, the Tucson Strategic Planning Team for pK-12 Refugee Education, and many more who have supported us.
To get involved with CENTER, contact Julie Kasper: JKasper@refugeefocus.org
For media inquiries, contact Stephanie Petrilli: email@example.com or 480-396-3795 ext. 119