Give A Gift That Counts This Christmas
Every year, thousands of people across Arizona are completely forgotten during the holidays. Toy drives give gifts to children under 12, but there are so many others that are overlooked:
- Teens in foster care are often forgotten, or receive gifts that are intended for younger children.
- Refugees get an outpouring of support of children's Christmas presents, when many don't observe Christmas and are struggling to meet basic needs like hygiene supplies or work uniforms.
But you can help change that with a gift as simple as a gift card.
Why gift cards?
Teens in foster care don’t often get to go shopping for their own things. Like any other teenager, choosing their own clothing and accessories is an important part of fitting in and expressing their personality. Our teens tell us that more than anything, they just want to go shopping with their friends and enjoy the simple luxury of picking out their own clothes.
Many refugees have spent years in refugee camps, and also haven’t had the chance to go shopping and pick out their own hygiene supplies, work clothing, or household essentials. Getting the chance to go shopping and provide for their household grants an independence that is treasured.
Here's how you can help:
- Purchase gift cards and mail or deliver to our gift processing centers: Lutheran Social Services of the Southwest, 10201 S. 51st Street, Suite 180, Phoenix, AZ 85044 or 6303 E. Tanque Verde Road, Suite 101, Tucson AZ 85715 by December 8, 2017. Please include this donation form with your gift.
- Create your own campaign to collect gift cards for foster youth and refugees and share it with your friends, family, co-workers, or congregation. Download a flyer here.
- Make a gift online or mail a check to the above address with "Gift Card Drive" in the memo line.
- Volunteer at our Winter Wonderland parties in December where we will be distributing the gifts in Phoenix and Tucson and celebrating with our clients. Contact Andrea Bayham at email@example.com to sign-up.
- Gifts of any denomination are appreciated. Our goal is to give a minimum of $25 to each of our foster teens and newly arrived refugees.
- Skip cards that have activation fees or fees for inactivity.
- Please write the amount of the gift on the gift card so that we can distribute appropriately.
- Select stores that teens would enjoy! Popular stores include: Target, Walmart, Amazon, Best Buy, Old Navy, and Game Stop. Stores that refugees would enjoy include: Target, Walmart, Amazon, and Fry’s.
Questions? Contact Andrea Bayham at firstname.lastname@example.org or 480-396-3795 ext. 104.