There is a child waiting for you.
There are approximately 15,000 children in Arizona who are in need of safe and loving temporary or permanent homes. The lack of available foster homes means that children are placed in group homes and sleeping in DCS offices.
Lutheran Social Services of the Southwest Foster Care Services assists families that wish to foster children in their homes. LSS-SW provides support services to family providers, including:
- Room & board reimbursement
- Extensive training
- Monthly in-home support
- Emergency support telephone numbers
- Foster parent mentors
- Family fun events
- Respite care
General requirements for becoming a foster care provider
Foster families must be approved by the state through the foster licensing process, which includes orientation, interviews, required training hours, fingerprinting and home study. This process typically takes 4-6 months to complete. Applicants must be:
- 21 years of age
- All members of the household must be in agreement to pursue foster care/adoption
- Can be married or single
- Sufficient family income
- Anyone living in the home who is 18 or older must pass a background check and receive a Level 1 Fingerprint Card
- Your home will be inspected and must pass according to OLCR Guidelines
- All applicants must attend a minimum 33 hours of pre-service training
- CPR/First Aid is required
De Crianza Familiasdeben ser aprobados por el estado a través del proceso de concesión de licencias de crianza, que incluye orientación, entrevistas, horas de capacitación requeridas, las huellas digitales y el hogar estudio. Este proceso suele durar 4-6 meses. Los solicitantes deben ser:
- 21 años de edad
- Todos los miembros de la familia deben estar de acuerdo para perseguir cuidado de crianza / adopción
- Casados o Solteros
- Suficiente ingreso economico familiar
- Cualquier persona que viva en el hogar, que es mayor de 18 años debe pasar una revisión de antecedentes y recibir una tarjeta de huellas dactilares de Nivel 1
- Su casa será inspeccionada y debe pasar de acuerdo a las Directrices OLCR
- Todos los solicitantes deben asistir a un mínimo de 33 horas de entrenamiento previa al servicio.
- Haga clic AQUI for orientation and training schedules.
- Certifacion de Resucitacion Cardiopulmonar (CPR) y Primeros Auxilios (First Aid) son requeridos
LSS-SW also adoption from foster care services to licensed foster parents. Though it is possible to adopt a baby from foster care, the children who are adopted vary in age up to 21 years old, with teenagers often being the highest need.
How to Get Started
The first step toward becoming a foster parent is to attend an introductory session that is hosted by the Arizona Kids Consortium. At the training, you will have a chance to ask any questions you might have about becoming a foster parent.
Statewide: Familyhomes@lss-sw.org or 1-844-891-2168
This program was funded through a contract with the Arizona Department of Economic Security, Division of Children, Youth and Families. Points of view are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the Department.